Want to give your kids a treehouse, but don't have a tree?
Maybe your yard space is limited. Maybe you've planted a tree but your children will be grown up and gone by the time it's big enough to support a tree house. Or maybe you just don't have any time for a garden and your other half prefers it paved anyway.
Either way, there's something missing here. An easy solution to your problem could be this - a tower playhouse. Essentially it's a wendy house on stilts, giving the kids a bastion to repel the invaders, learn about the effects on gravity as they pour buckets of water on each other and the dog, and a wistful retreat where they can dream big.
(Affliate posts - what's this mean?)
We scanned the available offerings on Amazon as always and found a massive range in prices - some were over £1000. Love the kids, but wow... But the following one looked actually very reasonable for the price. It's been left more or less a blank canvas. All the better to stamp your kids mark on it with their favourite colour paint!
Standing a cool 2.62 metres high (about 8ft 6 in old money) this tower playhouse is made out of dip-treated pine that has a 10 year anti-rot guarantee so save the details somewhere safe. The cabin part is about 1.5 metres high. The only catch (ha!) is that the door apparently does not come with a catch but those handy enough with a hammer will find it no biggie. If you're brave enough to put this together in the first place, you will be okay.
Things to note:
- It's a kit house, flatpacked, with instructions
- You might need some help with someone to hold things upright while you put them together etc
- You'll need about 2 by 2.5 metres space for its footprint
- Think about the levelness of the ground you're planning on using and whether or not you have enough space to layout all the bits during construction
- Think about what kids would fall onto if they decided to climb up stuff - spiked railings? Soft grass? Limit their playtime injuries with a little forward thinking - see the link below for some rubber safety matting ideas
- It has safety features like a gap around the door to prevent trapped fingers and styrene (a type of plastic derived from benzenes like polystyrene) windows
- £14.99 delivery cost and available throughout UK except offshore islands
If you want to go the whole hog, you can get the same one but with a slide, which looks amazing! Costs a wee bit more, of course.
Other useful links
We recommend Beach Blue and Sweet Sundae shades from this outdoor paint. Choose the colour from the dropdown.
Have fun storming the castle!